official موظف leather bag حقيبة جلدية
died مات lifted رفع
inn حانة gold locket قلادة زهبية
stranger غريب frightened خائف
proudly بفخر below اسفل
opposite مقابل next to بالقرب من
information معلومات quiet هادئ

Chapter (5)
         When the weather became warm, Mrs Maylie took Rose and Oliver to her small holiday house in the country far from London, leaving Giles and the other servants to look after her usual house. Oliver loved his time there until one day when Rose became ill. Mrs Maylie looked very worried and Oliver realised she was crying. "My dear Rose, what will I do without you?" she sobbed.  "Mrs Maylie, Rose is so young and so good that nothing bad will happen to her," said Oliver. "I hope you are right, Oliver," said Mrs Maylie. But Rose did not get better and the next day, Mrs Maylie asked Oliver to post a letter to Dr Losberne.  "I have another letter here for my son Harry," said Mrs Maylie. "You can post this, too." Oliver set off across some fields and ran until he reached the nearest village where he could post the letters. He felt happier when he knew that help was on its way.
           He turned round to go home when he walked into a nervous-looking man.  "Sorry, sir, I did not see you," he said politely. "What are you doing here?" shouted the man. He had dark, cruel eyes and an angry expression. Oliver did not know if he was ill or mad, and he quickly ran back home. Rose did not seem any better and when Dr Losberne visited, he did not seem very hopeful. He said he would stay with them to-look after Rose.
"She will sleep for a long time," Mrs Maylie told Oliver. "Perhaps she will wake up better. But I am very worried that she will not wake up at all."
           One morning a few days later, Dr Losberne left Rose's room and walked quietly up to Mrs Maylie and Oliver. "Is she dead?" Mrs Maylie sobbed. "No!" exclaimed the doctor. "I think she'll be up and about in no time." Mrs Maylie and Oliver laughed with happiness. Oliver decided to go out into the countryside to get Rose some flowers. As he was returning, a coach stopped in the road next to him. Mr Giles looked out of the coach. "What news is there of Rose?" he asked. "It's good news," said Oliver. Then a gentleman got out of the coach and walked up to Oliver. Oliver was not sure if he was angry or worried. "Are you sure that the news is good?" he said. "Yes, sir. Dr Losberne says she will be fine." The gentleman relaxed at once and smiled. Then he said, "Take the coach, driver. I'll walk to my mother's. Come with me, Mr Giles."
         Oliver walked back with Mr Giles and the gentleman. He was about twenty-five and he looked very like his mother, Mrs Maylie. They soon reached the house and went inside, where Mrs Maylie was very pleased to see her son, Harry. "I got your letter yesterday, Mother," said Harry. "Why didn't you tell me Rose was ill before?" "I didn't want to worry you." "But you know how much I care about Rose." Oliver could see that Harry cared greatly for Rose. Every day, Harry brought flowers to Rose's room, and every day she became a little better. Meanwhile, Dr Losberne became Oliver's teacher and he spent his time learning to read and write. Soon, Rose was completely better, and Oliver felt really happy for the first time in his life.
         They had been at the holiday house for most of the summer and Oliver spent his time studying hard. In late August at the end of a hot day, Oliver fell asleep while he was reading a book. He had a terrible dream. He thought he saw Fagin and another man looking at him through a window. He woke up with a cry, and then realised that it was not a dream! There was Fagin with another man. It was the man who had shouted at him when he went to get the doctor. The men disappeared, and Oliver shouted out. Mr Giles and Harry ran up to help him. "It was Fagin!" cried Oliver. "Which way did he go?" asked Harry. Oliver pointed and the men ran after the criminals, but they could not find them anywhere. "Perhaps it was just a dream," said Harry. "No, I saw Fagin with the man I told you about," said Oliver. They asked people in the nearest village if they had seen anyone. No one had seen anything. The strange men were soon forgotten and Harry and Mrs Maylie prepared to go home. "You can write now, can't you?" Harry asked Oliver one day. "Will you write to me often and tell me how my mother and Rose are?" "Of course I will," said Oliver. "Don't tell anyone," Harry said.
         That day, Harry and the doctor left in a coach. As Rose watched them leave from her window, she was crying. During the time that Oliver had stayed at Mrs Maylie's summer home, there had been changes at the workhouse where Oliver was born. The official who had been so cruel to Oliver, Mr Bumble, was now the master. He was also now married to Mrs Corney, the woman who had listened to Nurse Sally the night she died. After work one day, Mr Bumble went for a walk. It began to rain, so he went into a nearby inn until the rain stopped. Inside the inn Mr Bumble saw a tall stranger with dark, cruel eyes reading a newspaper. He looked at Mr Bumble. "You work at the workhouse, don't you?" he asked.  "I'm now the master of the workhouse," said Mr Bumble proudly.
        The man walked over to Mr Bumble's table and sat opposite him. "Good, then I'm sure you can give me some information," he said, passing Mr Bumble some money under the table. "Can you remember a time twelve years ago?" he asked.  "A boy was born in your workhouse. He later worked as an apprentice, but ran away to London." "You mean Oliver Twist!" said Mr Bumble excitedly.  "I don't want to know about him!" shouted the man. "I want to know about his nurse. Where is she?" "You mean Nurse Sally?" said Mr Bumble in surprise. "She died last winter." The stranger looked disappointed. "But she did say something to a person I know," said Mr Bumble, realising that the man could perhaps give him more money. "How can I find this person?" the stranger asked. "I can introduce you tomorrow," said Mr Bumble.  "Bring the person to this address at nine o'clock," said the stranger, giving Mr Bumble some paper. "Ask for Monks." He stood up quickly and then left. The next night, Mr Bumble and his wife travelled to a poor part of the town by the river. It was raining and Mrs Bumble looked nervous.
         This was an area of slums where only the poorest people lived and she knew that many of them were criminals. The streets were narrow and covered in wet mud and the wooden houses were so old that they looked as if they could fall down at any time. They stopped in front of an old factory and Mr Bumble looked again at the paper with the address on it. "It should be here," he said. "Hello there," called a voice. "Come in here." They walked through a door into the old factory, and there was Monks. Mrs Bumble was pleased to leave the streets, although the inside of the factory was cold and dark. "So, you were with the nurse on the night she died?" Monks asked Mrs Corney, now Mrs Bumble. "What did she say to you?". "Perhaps you have some money for this information?" Mrs Bumble suggested. Monks put a bag of coins on the table in front of her.
        Mrs Bumble then told Monks what happened on the night that Nurse Sally died. "She said that she took the gold locket? What more did she tell you?" 'shouted Monks. "She died before she could tell me any more," said Mrs Bumble. "What?" shouted Monks. "But after she died, I found this," she continued. She showed Monks a small leather bag, and inside it was the gold locket. Monks picked up the locket and opened it. Inside he could read the name "Agnes". "Is this everything that you wanted to know?" asked Mrs Bumble. "Yes," said Monks, closing the locket quickly and looking suddenly pleased. "Now look." He lifted a heavy door in the floor next to where they were standing. Under the door they could see the dark river running below them. Mr Bumble looked frightened. What was Monks going to do with them?

*Questions with model answers:-

1-Why didn't Mrs Maylie take the servants with her to the holiday house?
  -To look after her usual house.
2-How far was Mrs Maylie affected by Rose's illness?
  -She was worried, cried and sobbed.
3-How old was Harry?
  -He was about twenty five years old.
4-How did Oliver spend his time during the holiday in the countryside?
  -He spent his time studying hard after learning how to read and write.
5-What was the terrible dream Oliver had during the holiday?
  -He dreamt that he saw Fagin and another man looking at him through a window.
6-What did Harry ask Oliver to do before he left the holiday house?
  -He asked Oliver to write and tell him how his mother and Rose were.
7-Who did Mr Bumble meet at the inn? What did he ask him about?
  -He met Monks. Monks asked for information about Oliver and Nurse Sally.
8-Why did Monks give Mr Bumble some money?
  -To give him information about Nurse Sally.
9-Where did Monks live?
  -He lived in a poor part of the town where the poor and criminals live.
10-What was inside the bag which Mr Bumble showed Monks?
  -There was a locket in which the name "Agnes" was written.

*Quotations with model answers:-
1-"I have another letter here for my son Harry. You can post this, too."
  a-Who said this to whom?
    -Mrs Maylie to Oliver.
  b-Who was the first letter for?
    -The first letter was for Dr Losberne.
  c-Why did the speaker send these letters?
    -One to the doctor to come and see Rose. One to her son who is interested in Rose.
2-"No, I saw Fagin with the man I told you about."
  a-Who said this to whom?
    -Oliver to Harry.
  b-Where did the speaker see them?
    -He saw them looking at him through a window while he was sleeping.
  c-What did the listener do?
    -He and Mr Giles went out to look for the two criminals.
3-"I'm now the master of the workhouse."
  a-Who said this to whom?
    -Mr Bumble to Monks.
  b-Why did the speaker say this?
    -Because Monks asked, "You work at the workhouse, don't you?"
   c-What did the listener want to know?
    -He wanted to know information about Oliver.
4-"Bring the person to this address at nine o'clock."
   a-Who was the speaker?
    -Monks.
   b-What does "the person" refer to?
    -Mrs Corney, Mr Bumble's wife.
   c-Why did the speaker need that person?
    -Because he needed information about Nurse Sally who attended Oliver's birth.
5-"She died before she could tell me any more."
    a-Who said this to whom?
     -Mrs Bumble to Monks.
    b-Who was the speaker talking about?
     -Nurse Sally.
    c-What does "She" refer to?
     -Oliver's mother.

1-Answer the following Questions:-

1-How long did Oliver stay with Mrs May lie in the countryside?
2-Who came to see Rose when she was ill?
3-What did Harry Maylie ask Oliver to do when he left?
4-What changes had happened to Mr Bumble?
5-Who did Mr Bumble meet at an inn? What did the man want?
6-Where did Mr and Mrs Bumble meet Monks?
7-What did Mrs Bumble give him?
8-Why did Mrs Maylie send a letter to the doctor?
9-What did the gold locket contain?
10-Describe the area where Monks live.

2-Read the following quotations, then answer the questions:-

1-"Rose is so young and so good that nothing bad will happen to her. "
   a)Who said this to whom?
   b)When did he or she say this?
   c)What bad thing does the speaker think will not happen to Rose?
2-"She will sleep for a long time. Perhaps she will wake up better."
   a)Who says this?
   b)Who is the person talking about?
   c)Why is the person worried?
3-"I don't want to know about him! I want to know about his nurse. Where is she?"
   a)Who says this and where does he or she say it?
   b)Who is "him" that the person doesn't want to know about?
   c)Where is the nurse?
4-"Good, then I'm sure you can give me some information."
   a)Who said this to whom?
   b)What information did the speaker want?
   c)Why was the speaker sure that he will take the information?
5-"She said that she took the gold locket? What more did she tell you?
   a)Who said this to whom?
   b)Who took the gold locket?
   c)What did this locket belong to?

3-Find the mistakes then correct them:-

1. Oliver sent a letter to Dr Losberne to see Rose.
2. Oliver posted Mrs Bumble's two letters to Dr Losberne and Harry.
3. Mrs Maylie sent a letter to her brother Harry.
4. As soon as Harry received his mother's phone call, he came at once.
5. Oliver saw Fagin and another man through a door.
6. Mr Giles and Dr Losberne looked for Fagin and the other man.
7. Monks wanted to know about Sally who witnessed Oliver's death.
8. Monks was living in a rich part of the town by the river.
9. Nurse Sally said she took the gold locket from Monk's mother.
10. When Monks opened the locket, he could read the name "Oliver".

Chapter (6)

horrified مرعوب show يبين – يرى
faces وجوه coach عربة تجرها الخيول
weak ضعيف cheerful مرح
gang عصابة trust يثق بــ
appeared ظهر difficult time وقت صعب
interest اهتمام anxious قلق
conversation محادثة sensible عاقل – متزن
crept زحف married متزوج - تزوج
upstairs الطابق الاعلى tired متعب
downstairs الطابق الاسفل pretending مدعيا
rest يستريح arrested قبض على
shawl شال للسيدات safe امن
shoulders اكتاف evil man رجل شرير
expensive غالى at the bottom فى القاع
send away يطرد prison سجن
puzzled متحير advise ينصح
kindly بلطف bridge كوبرى
thieves لصوص extremely للغاية
called يدعى upset منزعج

Chapter (6)

Mr and Mrs Bumble looked at the cold water running under the old factory where they were standing. "Don't worry," Monks said, when he saw their horrified faces. "The only thing that is going in the water is the locket," he said, dropping it in the dark river. "Now we can all forget all about this story, can't we?" he continued. "Yes, of course," said Mr Bumble quickly. "Now let's get home," he said to his wife, feeling happy to leave the old factory alive.
       Months later, in London, Mr Sikes got out of bed for the first time in three weeks. He had been weak since the night he left Oliver in the field outside the house. "How are you feeling, Bill?" said Fagin, entering his room with Charley Bates and the Artful Dodger. "We've brought you some food." "I've been ill for three weeks!" said Sikes. "Where have you been?" "You should be happy to see us with these things," said Fagin. "I need some money," said Sikes. "Nancy can go to your place to get some money for me." At Fagin's house, Fagin sent the gang out to do some work in the streets so he could talk to Nancy. He was about to give her some money when a man appeared at the door. "Ah, this is Monks," said Fagin, introducing Nancy. Nancy looked at the tall, dark-eyed man with interest. "So, Monks, did you see him?" Fagin asked. "Let's talk in another room," said Monks, looking at Nancy.
          Fagin took him upstairs and told Nancy to stay where she was. But Nancy was worried, so she walked quietly upstairs and stood outside their room. She listened to their conversation for some time, then crept back to the room downstairs as quietly as she had gone up. "We had a little business to do," Fagin explained to Nancy after Monks had gone. "Now, here is your money. Go and take it to Mr Sikes." Even more worried, Nancy took the money and left the house. But as she walked to Mr Sikes's house with the money, she thought about what she had heard the men say and began to cry. Later that evening after she had rested, Nancy hurried through the streets of London. "I might be too late," she said to herself. Soon she arrived in a rich part of the city and stopped outside a small hotel, before going inside.  
         A woman at the hotel desk looked up in surprise when a poor young woman with an old shawl round her shoulders walked into the expensive-looking hotel. "Well miss, what do you want?" said the woman at the desk. "I need to speak to Miss Maylie," explained Nancy.  "I don't think she will want to see someone like you!" said the woman, looking at Nancy's old clothes.  "Please! Tell her I must speak to her. It's very important. Then you can send me away." A servant went upstairs to tell Miss Maylie about this young woman. A few minutes later, he returned and said that Nancy could see her. Rose was puzzled to see such a poor woman enter her room. "How can I help you?' she said kindly. "Oh dear lady, I am the woman who took Oliver back to the house of thieves!" Nancy cried. "But you do not understand why I did it and what it is to be poor like me!" "I am sorry to hear this," said Rose. "Do you know a man called Monks?" asked Nancy. "No," said Rose. "He is an evil man. He knows you and he knows you are here. That is how I found this hotel. I heard him talking to Fagin," continued Nancy. "He wanted Fagin to make Oliver a thief." "But why?" asked Rose. "He said that the only thing that could explain who the boy really is lies at the bottom of the river. He said that he had the boy's money and now wanted his brother Oliver put in prison." "His brother?" said Rose in surprise. "Yes. And he said he knows that Oliver is staying with you and Mrs Maylie." "This is not good. But what can I do?" said Rose. "You must know someone who can advise you," said ' Nancy. "Now I must go." "Where can I find you if I need information?" "Every Sunday night at eleven o'clock, I'll walk across London Bridge," said Nancy.
        She turned and left the room, leaving Rose worried and extremely upset. She was only in London for two days with her family and Oliver. Who could she ask for advice?  At that moment, Oliver ran into the room. "I have seen him!' he cried. "Who have you seen?" asked Rose. "Mr Brownlow! I saw him walk into a house. Mr Giles asked a servant who lived there and it is him! Look, I have his address!" Oliver showed Rose some paper with the address written on it. "We must go and see him," said Rose. "We will take a coach at once."
        When they arrived at the address, Rose went first to talk to the gentleman, Mr Brownlow. She saw that he was a cheerful-looking man and knew at once that she could trust him. He was with another gentleman too. Mr Brownlow introduced Rose to Mr Grimwig. "I believe you were very kind to a young friend of mine," explained Rose. "And who is this friend?" asked Mr Brownlow. "Oliver Twist," said Rose. Mr Grimwig looked surprised and said, "He was a thief!" "Do not listen to my friend," said Mr Brownlow, smiling.  "Oliver is a good boy who has had a very difficult time," explained Rose. "What can you tell me about this boy who disappeared after I helped him?" asked Mr Brownlow. Rose told him all the things that had happened to Oliver after he left his house. "Then I must see the boy!" said Mr Brownlow when he heard her story. Oliver was asked to come inside. When he saw his nurse, Mrs Bedwin, he ran up to her. "Oliver, I knew I would see you again!" she cried. "You look like a gentleman's son!" Meanwhile, in another room, Rose sat down and told Mr Brownlow everything that Nancy had told her. He looked worried and said he would visit her and Mrs May lie at their hotel that evening.
      At the hotel that evening over tea, they were all very anxious. Mr Brownlow discussed the problem with Mrs Maylie and Dr Losberne. "We must find out who Oliver's mother was," said Mr Brownlow, "and about the money that should be his." "How can we do this? We could tell the police," suggested Dr Losberne. "The police will put the gang in prison but that would not help Oliver," said Mr Brownlow. "We must speak to this man Monks alone. We can ask Nancy where we can find him." But as they were all sensible people, they agreed that it would be a good idea to get other people to help them. Mr Brownlow suggested Mr Grimwig, and Dr Losberne suggested Harry Maylie. "We will stay in London for a while," said Mr Brownlow.  "And when this is all finished, my good friends, I will tell you why I left the country."
      Soon after Oliver had disappeared from Mr Sowerberry's shop, Noah Claypole met a young woman called Charlotte and they got married. Afterwards, they decided to leave their town and go to London. So, Noah and his wife Charlotte were walking through the streets of London looking for somewhere to eat and sleep. "Are we there yet?" said the tired woman. "We are nearly there," he answered. They walked into an old inn and Noah asked a man who worked there for some food. While they were eating at the inn, Noah told Charlotte how he would like to be rich. "It was easy to take money from Mr Sowerberry," said Noah. "So we can also take things from other people. I think I would be a good thief." They did not realise that Fagin was sitting at a nearby table. He heard them talking and decided to introduce himself. "So, you took some money, did you?" said Fagin, as he stood up to join them.
        Noah looked up in surprise. "I didn't steal anything. It was her!" he cried, pointing at his wife. "Don't worry, you've come to the right place," said Fagin, laughing. He sat down at their table. "I can get you work. You keep half of what you take and you get food and a bed. I keep the other half." Noah looked pleased. "When can I start?" he asked. "Tomorrow. I'll show you where you can take money from children who have been sent by their mothers to buy things," said Fagin. "Thank you. I'm Mr Morris Bolter," said Noah, pretending to have a different name. "And this is my wife Mrs Bolter." "Good," said Fagin. "I'm pleased to meet you." At that moment, Charley Bates came into the inn. He looked frightened. In a low voice, he told Fagin that the police had arrested the Artful Dodger. Fagin looked carefully at his new friends, Noah and Charlotte. "Do what I say and I will keep you safe," he explained; "But if you don't do what I say, you will be sent to prison like the Artful Dodger!" Noah and Charlotte began to look rather worried.

1- Why did Monks drop the gold locket in the river?
  -Because it was the evidence that Oliver was his half-brother.
2-Why were Mr and Mrs Bumble happy to leave the old factory?
  -They thought that Monks would throw them in the river.
3-Who visited Sikes when he was ill? What did they bring with them?
  -Fagin, Charley Bates and the Artful Dodger and brought some food with them.
4-Why did the woman at the hotel desk look at Nancy in surprise?
  -Because Nancy was poor in old clothes.
5-Show that Nancy was kind-hearted woman.
  -She went to Rose to save Oliver from the evil men.
6-What did Monks ask Fagin to do with Oliver?
  -He wanted Fagin to make Oliver a thief to be put in prison.
7-Where could Rose find Nancy if she wanted her?
  -She could find her walking across London Bridge every Sunday night at 11.
8-What did Mr Brownlow accuse Oliver of?
  -He accused him of disappearing after he had helped him.
9-What was Noah's dream?
  -To be rich by being a good thief.
10-What job would Noah and Charlotte do for Fagin?
  -They would take money from children who were sent by their mothers to buy things.

1-"Now we can all forget all about this story, can't we?"
  a-Who said this to whom?
    -Monks to Mr and Mrs Bumble.
  b-Where were they?
    -In an old factory in the old part of the town.
  c-What did the speaker want them to forget?
    -The gold locket which he threw in the river.
2-"He wanted Fagin to make Oliver a thief."
  a-Who said this to whom?
    -Nancy to Rose.
  b-Who wanted to make Oliver a thief?
    -Monks.
  c-What do you think of the speaker?
    -The speaker was a kind-hearted.
3-"What can you tell me about this boy who disappeared after I helped him?"
   a-Who said this to whom?
     -Mr Brownlow to Rose.
   b-Who was that boy?
     -Oliver Twist.
   c-Why did that boy disappeared?
     -He was kidnapped by Fagin's gang.
4-"Don't worry, you've come to the right place, I can get you work."
    a-Who said this to whom?
      -Fagin to Noah and Charlotte.
    b-Did they come to the right place? Why?
      -Yes, because they all are thieves.
    c-What work can they get?
      -They can work as thieves.
5-"But if you don't do what I say, you will be sent to prison like the Artful Dodger."
     a-Who said this to whom?
       -Fagin to Noah and Charlotte.
     b-How could the speaker protect them?
       -He will not tell the police about them?
     c-What crime did they commit before coming?
       -They stole Mr Sowerberry's money.

1-Answer the following questions:-
1-What did Monks throw into the water?
2-Why did he say they could all forget about it?
3-Why was Mr Bumble happy to leave the old factory alive?
4-Approximately how long was Bill Sikes away from London?
5-How long has Bill been ill in bed?
6-Why did Nancy go to Fagin's house?
7-Who did she meet there?
8-What did Nancy do while Fagin and that person were talking?
9-What did Nancy learn from Monks? What did she do with that information?
10-Oliver was very happy to have seen someone in London. Who was it? Where did he talk
   to him?
11-What important news does Fagin receive at the end of the chapter?

2-Read the quotations and answer the questions:-
1-"Now we can all forget all about this story, can't we?"
  a)Who said this to whom?
  b)Where were they and what had the speaker just done?
  c)What does he want them to forget and why?
2-"He said that the only thing that could explain who the boy really is lies at the bottom of
     the river. "
 a)Who said this to whom?
 b)Whose speech is the person reporting?
 c)What is it that lies at the bottom of the river?
3-"It was easy to take money from Mr Sowerberry. So we can also take things from other
    people. I think I would be a good thief."
 a)Who said this to whom?
 b)Where were they when he or she said this?
 c)Who overheard these words and what was the result?
4-"Every Sunday night at eleven o'clock. I'll walk across London Bridge."
 a)Who said this to whom?
 b)Where were they at that time?
 c)What do you think of the speaker?
5-"I believe you were very kind to a young friend of mine."
 a)Who said this to whom?
 b)Who was the speaker talking about?
 c)Where was that friend then?

1. Noah Claypole came to London to start a business.
2. The hotel receptionist looked at Nancy in despair.
3. Nancy told Rose that Monks was a good man.
4. Monks asked Sikes to make Oliver a thief.
5. Rose was surprised to hear that Oliver was Monks's brother.
6. Mr Brownlow was a gloomy-looking man.
7. Noah met Sally and they got married.
8. While Noah and his wife were in the inn, Sikes was there.
9. Monks threw Mr and Mrs Bumble into the river.
10. In Fagin's opinion, Noah and Charlotte had gone to the wrong place.
Chapter (7)

part of جزء من lakes بحيرات
find out يكتشف killer قاتل
directions اتجاهات – ارشادات guards حراس
magistrate قاضى kidnap يخطف
follow يتبع prefer يفضل
carefully بحرص unkind غير عطوف
busy streets شوارع مزدحمة relatives اقرباء
patiently بصبر will وصيه
lawyer محامى cautious حريص
set me free يطلق سراحى burned حرق
have a walk يتمشى believe يصدق
pound جنيه promise يوعد
midnight منتصف اليل keen to شغوف ان
approached اقترب من share يشارك
look like يشبه at that moment فى تلك اللحظة
a red mark علامة حمراء locked اغلق
persuade يقنع

Chapter (7)

Noah (who now called himself Morris Bolter) was now part of Fagin's gang of thieves. Fagin decided that his first job for Noah was to go and find out what was happening to the Artful Dodger. So Fagin gave Noah directions to the magistrates, which he followed carefully through the busy streets of London.  He then waited patiently inside the building until he saw the Artful Dodger walk in front of the magistrate. "Send me to prison, I don't care!" said the Artful Dodger to the surprised magistrate. "My lawyer will soon set me free again and you will be in trouble!" "Take him away!" said the magistrate angrily. On Sunday, Mr Sikes and Fagin were talking in Mr Sikes's house. Nancy heard them talking quietly. She waited until it was nearly eleven o'clock, then she stood up and put on her coat. "Where are you going at this time?' asked Mr Sikes. "I don't feel well. I would like to have a walk," she said. "It's too late," said Mr Sikes, and he locked the door. Fagin watched Nancy and could see she was upset. What was happening? He knew she was planning something, so he decided that she should be watched.
     When Noah had finished his first day on the streets, Fagin was pleased. He had taken money, milk and bread from the children of rich families. "You're good for a beginner," said Fagin. "Now I have a nice job for you. I want you to watch a young woman for me.  Find out where she goes, who she sees and what she says. Can you do that?" "Of course!" said Noah. "What will I get?" "A pound note," said Fagin. "But wait until next Sunday, then I will tell you which person you need to follow." The next Sunday evening, Nancy left the house at quarter to eleven. Noah followed her to London Bridge, careful that she did not see him. At midnight, he saw a young lady and a grey haired gentleman arrive in a coach. Nancy approached them.
      Noah watched as she took the pair down some dark steps next to the bridge. "Why have you brought us to this strange place?'' Noah heard the gentleman ask. "I was afraid to speak to you where there is light," said Nancy. "Why didn't you come last week?' said the gentleman, who in fact was Mr Brownlow. "The door was locked and I could not come." "But no one knows you are here tonight?" "No, they don't." "We know what you told Rose," said Mr Brownlow. "We need to find Monks. And if we cannot find him, we need Fagin." "I can help you to find Monks," said Nancy. She told them which inn he visited. Mr Brownlow took notes. "What does he look like?" Mr Brownlow asked. "He's tall and strong with dark hair and eyes," she said.  "He's about 28 but looks much older. He always looks nervous and on his neck he has ... " "He has a red mark," said Mr Brownlow. "Do you know him?" asked Nancy in surprise. "I think so," said Mr Brownlow. "But I am not sure. Thank you for helping us. Now let us help you. Come with us, away from your old life." "I cannot leave it," said Nancy. "I must go home."
    Mr Brownlow and Rose tried to persuade her, but finally realised that they could not change Nancy's mind, and the three people climbed back up the steps onto the street.  Soon all was quiet. Noah left his hiding place and ran back to Fagin's house as quickly as he could. When Fagin heard what had happened, he was furious and sent a boy to tell Mr Sikes to visit him at once. Mr Sikes arrived and he could see that Fagin was very unhappy.  "What's happened?" Sikes asked. "What would you do if you found out that a friend had told people all about our gang?" said Fagin. "I would punish that person," cried Mr Sikes.  "Then listen to what our friend has to say," said Fagin, introducing Mr Sikes to Noah. Noah told them all about what he had heard at the bridge and who he had seen.
     When Sikes heard the news, he said nothing but jumped up and ran out of the house.
A few hours later, Mr Sikes locked the door to his house and left London before it was light. He did not want anyone to see him. He travelled all day until he was in the countryside north of London. For days, he slept in the open and drank water from lakes.  One day, as he passed an inn, he heard some men talking. "Did you hear that a woman was killed in London last week?" said one. "Yes, they say the killer has gone north to Birmingham. I hope they catch him," said the other. Mr Sikes walked away from them quickly. So, the police thought he was going to Birmingham. He was frightened, but he had a plan. He decided to go back to London.
     While this was happening, Mr Brownlow was also busy. One day, he got out of a coach and knocked on the door to his house. Then two guards got out with another man. It was Monks. They all walked into the house without speaking. "If he does not do what we say," Mr Brownlow told the guards, "take him into the street and call the police." "Who said these men could kidnap me?" said Monks. "I did," said Mr Brownlow. "If you do not like it, go and find a policeman. But I would prefer you to sit down." Monks thought for a minute, then he slowly sat down before saying, "I did not think my father's oldest friend would be so unkind to me." "I was your father's oldest friend," said Mr Brownlow, "and I was going to marry his sister, your aunt, before she died. That is why I have you here, Edward Leeford. I am pleased you have changed the name of your kind family."
        "What do you want?" said Monks quietly. "You have a brother," said Mr Brownlow. "No, I was an only child," said Monks. "After your mother died," continued Mr Brownlow, "a rich relative of your family left your father a lot of money. But your father became ill in Italy and he also died. No will was found, so all his money became yours." Monks looked at Mr Brownlow cautiously but with interest. "But before he went to Italy," Mr Brownlow continued, "he visited me. He told me that he had married again. He married a young woman called Agnes. He gave me a painting of her which I put on my wall. She had a baby boy." "This is just a story," said Monks. "It is not. When I first found Oliver, I could see that he looked very like the young woman in the painting," said Mr Brownlow. "But you kidnapped the boy before I could find out more." "It was not me!" cried Monks. "I know what happened," said Mr Brownlow.
        "When I could not find Oliver, I decided to find you. So I went to the West Indies where you were working when I last heard of you. But you were not there, so I returned to London." "This is not true!" cried Monks. "I do not have a brother." "You know you have a brother. Your father did have a will, but you burned it. The locket your father gave to Agnes was the only thing left to show who the boy was. You dropped that in the river. And now a woman has been killed!" "It is true about the locket," said Monks. "But it was not me who killed the woman. You must believe me!" "If you promise to tell everyone what has happened, then perhaps I will finally believe you," said Mr Brownlow.  "I promise," said Monks quietly.
       At that moment, Dr Losberne ran into the room. He was very excited and was keen to share his news. "I have spoken to a policeman," he cried. "The policeman says they think the man who killed Nancy is coming back to London!" "Stay in this room until I return," Mr Brownlow ordered Monks. "It is your only hope of staying safe."

1-What did Noah call himself? Why?
  -He called himself Morris Bolter because he stole Mr Sowerberry's money before leaving.
2-What made Nancy choose a dark place for meeting Rose and Mr Brownlow?
  -She didn't want anyone from Fagin's gang to see her.
3-Why didn't Nancy meet Rose on the first Sunday as it was arranged?
  -Because the door was locked and she couldn't go out.
4-How old was Monks? What did he look like?
  -He was 28 years old. He was tall and strong with dark hair and eyes.
5-Why did Sikes kill Nancy?
  -Because she told other people about his bad plans.
6-How was Monks brought to Mr Brownlow's house?
  -Two guards caught him and took him by force.
7-What did Mr Brownlow tell Monks about his relation to his father?
  -Mr Brownlow was his father's oldest friend and he was going to marry his aunt.
8-How did Monk's father get his money?
  -A rich relative left him a lot of money.
9-What did Monk's father tell Mr Brownlow before travelling to Italy?
  -He told him that he had married a woman called Agnes. She had a baby boy.
10-What did Mr Brownlow accuse Monks of?
  -Burning the will that his father left.
  -Throwing the gold locket that showed Oliver was his brother into the river.

1-"Send me to prison, I don't care."
  a-Who said this to whom?
     -The Artful Dodger to the magistrate.
  b-What happened to the speaker?
     -He was arrested by the police as he was a thief.
  c-What was the addressed person's reaction?
     -He ordered the policeman to take the speaker away.
2-"Find out where she goes, who she sees and what she says. Can you do that?"
  a-Who said this to whom?
    -Fagin to Noah.
    -Nancy.
   c-Why did the speaker want that person to be followed?
    -Because he suspected her and knew she was planning something.
3-"I did not think my father's oldest friend would be so unkind to me."
  a-Who said this to whom?
    -Monks to Mr Brownlow.
  b-How was the listener unkind to the speaker?
    -He treated him unkindly as he was a criminal, foolish and liar.
  c-What was the listener's reply to these words?
    -He was his father's oldest friend and he was going to marry his aunt.
4-"But before he went to Italy, he visited me. He told me that he had married again"
  a-Who said this to whom?
    -Mr Brownlow to Monks.
    -Monk's father.
  c-Did the listener agree with the speaker?
    -No, he didn't.
5-"The door was locked and I couldn't come."
  a-Who said his to whom?
    -Nancy to Brownlow and Rose.
  b-Who locked the door?
    -Sikes.
   c-Where was the speaker going?

1-Answer these questions:-
1-What two jobs did Noah Claypole (Morris Bolter) do for Fagin?
2-Where did Nancy talk to Rose and Mr Brownlow?
3-Did anyone hear their conversation? Who?
4-Why did Fagin send someone to follow Nancy?
5-What did Nancy tell Rose and Mr Brownlow?
6-What did Mr Brownlow try to do for Nancy? Did she accept his offer?
7-What did Sikes do to Nancy when Fagin told him that she had told someone about the
  gang? Where did Sikes go after that?
8-Why did Mr Brownlow travel to the West Indies?
9-Who told Mr Brownlow about Monks.
10-Why was Nancy killed?
2-Read these quotations and answer the questions:-

1-"Find out where she goes, who she sees and what she says. Can you do that?"
  a)Who says this to whom?
  b)Who is the person talking about?
  c)Why does the speaker want the person followed?
2-"Thank you for helping us. Now let us help you. Come with us, away from your old life. "
  a)Who said this to whom and where was it?
  b)How had the person helped the speaker?
  c)Did the listener accept the offer? What was the result?
3-"I did not think my father's oldest friend would be so unkind to me. "
  a)Who says this to whom?
  b)Where was this?
  c)How was the person being unkind to the speaker?
4-"He was 28 but looks much older. He always looks nervous and on his neck he has……"
  a-Who said this to whom?
  b-Who is the speaker talking about?
  c-What does he have on his neck?
5-"So I went to the West Indies where you were working when I last heard of you."
  a-Who is the speaker?
  b-Who was working in the West Indies?
  c-Did the speaker meet him there?

1.The magistrate sent the Artful Dodger to the workhouse.
2.Nancy met Rose on the third Sunday after their meeting in the hotel.
3.Mr Brownlow and Mrs Maylie fought with Nancy on London Bridge.
4.Fagin and Nancy told Sikes what had happened at the bridge.
6.Mr Brownlow was the oldest enemy of Monks's father.
7.Mr Brownlow was married to Monks's aunt.
8.Mr Leeford died in Italy.
9.Monks killed Nancy and ran away.
10-Mr Leeford gave Mr Brownlow a painting of Nancy.

Chapter (8)

by the river بالقرب من النهر dead ميت
slums حوارى – مناطق فقيرة poverty الفقر
overcrowded شديد الزحام bright لامع
poverty فقر orphan يتيم
events احداث half-brother اخ غير شقيق
escaped هرب morals اخلاق
fight عراك shame خزى
horse حصان adopt يتبنى
instructions تعليمات pleasure سعادة
crowd الجمهور identity شخصية
ladder سلم sentenced to death السجن مدى الحياة
fifty pounds خمسون جنيها chimney مدخنة
tide المد و الجزر cell زنزانة
education التعليم informer مخبر سرى

Chapter (8)
      It was a dark, wet afternoon. Toby Crackit, the thief who had been with Mr Sikes and Oliver when they tried to break into Mrs Maylie's house, was hiding with two other criminals. They were in an old house by the river. The house was in a part of London that few people knew or wanted to know about. It was in an area of the poorest slums you have ever seen, where the overcrowded streets were full of unwanted smells and mud. It was an area of great poverty, where people lived with little hope. The criminals were now discussing the surprising events that had happened earlier that day. "When did the police catch Fagin?" asked Toby. "At two o'clock," said one of the criminals, who was called Chitling. "Charley Bates and I escaped through a window, but they also arrested Bolter."
"All the other people in the gang were taken by the police," said the other criminal, who was called Kags.  
      At that moment there was a knock on the door. "Who can it be?" asked Toby. "Is it Charley Bates?" asked Kags. "No one else knows we're here, do they?" A man entered. He had a handkerchief across his mouth and a large hat. When he took these off, they saw it was not Charley Bates. It was Mr Sikes. He looked very tired, "Is it true that they've arrested Fagin?" he asked loudly. "Yes, it is," said Kags. "Toby, can I stay here?'' Mr Sikes asked. He looked worried. "Yes, if you must," replied Toby. There was another knock. This time, Charley Bates entered the room. When he saw Mr Sikes, he looked shocked. "Not you! You're the one who killed Nancy!" he shouted.  The criminals were amazed when young Charley Bates then jumped on Mr Sikes and they began to fight. However, Mr Sikes was far too strong for the boy, and soon Charley was lying on the floor.
      Charley jumped up and shouted, "Help! The killer is here! Break down the door!" It was an old house and the walls were thin, so soon the criminals could hear the sound of people in the street outside.  These people outside had heard Charley's calls. There seemed to be many voices, but they could also hear a horse and a man giving instructions, and then a loud knock on the door downstairs. Mr Sikes opened the window and shouted at the crowd of people in the street below, "You'll never take me to prison!" The man who was giving instructions was Mr Brownlow and he asked for a ladder. At this point Mr Sikes realised that someone could climb up to the window, and he knew that he had to escape. He ran up the stairs at the back of the house which led to the top floor. Then he climbed onto the roof of the old building. The crowd of people in the street could now see him, and they all pointed. "I will give fifty pounds to the man who takes that man alive," cried Mr Brownlow. Mr Sikes looked around, but he could see that there was no escape from the roof. He could try to jump into the river, but the tide was too low at this time of day. He realised that people were now in the house below him and were running up the stairs. There was only one thing he could do. He had no choice - he had to jump. As Mr Sikes fell, the crowd suddenly went quiet. No one would have the fifty pounds from Mr Brownlow. Mr Sikes was dead.
     Two days later, on a bright, sunny day, Oliver was travelling in a coach with Mrs Maylie, Rose, Mrs Bedwin and Dr Losberne. Behind them, a coach carried Mr Brownlow, Mr Grimwig and another man. Mr Brownlow had told Oliver all about his conversation with a man named Monks, but Oliver still did not know what was going to happen. He also did not know that the other man travelling in Mr Brownlow's coach was in fact Monks, and after some time Oliver forgot about him. The coaches were travelling towards the place where Oliver was born. He looked out of the window and thought it was amazing to see the places that he remembered from his long walk to London. "Look, there is the field I walked through!" he told Rose. "And there is the road to the house where I lived with Mrs Mann when I was little. Perhaps my orphan friends are still there!" he said excitedly. "We can give them clothes and teach them how to read and write." The coach passed the Sowerberry's house. When they passed the workhouse, Oliver became quieter. The coach continued and stopped outside a hotel that Oliver remembered. He could not believe that now he was going to stay there. Much later that evening, when they were eating in the hotel dining room, Mr Brownlow stayed in his room with the man who had travelled with him in his coach, Monks. Dr Losberne and Mr Grimwig visited them for a time, then returned to sit with Oliver and Rose.
        Finally, at nine o'clock, Mr Brownlow opened the door and came into the room. He was with a man who Oliver had seen before, a man with cruel eyes. Oliver looked at him nervously. "This is difficult for everyone," said Mr Brownlow, holding some papers. "But it is important that we all hear what I have to say." Mr Brownlow walked up to Oliver and put his hand on his shoulder. "This boy is your half-brother," he said to Monks. "He is the son of Agnes and your father, my good friend Edwin Leeford." "Yes," said Monks. "He was born in this town, in the workhouse." "When your father died, what did you find on his desk?" asked Mr Brownlow. "I found his will and a letter to Agnes," said Monks quietly. "My father's letter asked Agnes to keep the gold locket with her name on it."
"That's right. And the will said that some of his money should go to you," said Mr Brownlow, looking at Monks. "But there was a lot more money. The will said half of this money should go to Agnes. The other half should go to her child, but only if the child grew up as a person with good morals. Your father did not want another bad son like you." "I did not want the boy to be good," explained Monks. "I wanted to be sure that he was a thief so that he would not get the money.
      As he grew up, I watched Oliver carefully without him knowing it. When he ran away, I helped the Artful Dodger to find him so he could introduce him to my friend Fagin, and then Fagin helped him to be a thief." "What happened to the locket?" asked Mr Brownlow. "I bought the locket from some people at the workhouse where Oliver lived," said Monks. "These people?" asked Mr Brownlow. He came back into the room with Mr and Mrs Bumble. "Oliver!" cried Mr Bumble when he saw the boy. "I'm so happy to see you again. You have always been such a good boy!" "Did you sell a locket to this man?" Mr Brownlow asked Mr Bumble. "Of course not. I have never seen him before," said Mr Bumble.
      Mr Grimwig then came in with two servants from the workhouse. "What can you tell us about old Nurse Sally?" Mr Grimwig asked them. "We saw Mrs Bumble take a gold locket and some papers from Nurse Sally's hands when she died," said one servant.  Mrs Bumble looked down with shame. "It's true," she said.  "I should not have taken something so important. What will you do with us?" "I will tell people never to give you or your husband a good job again," said Mr Brownlow. "Now," Mr Brownlow continued, looking at Monks, "what can you tell us about Rose?" "Rose Maylie is Agnes's younger sister," continued Monks. "When Agnes's father died, Rose was sent to live with a poor family in Wales. Years later she was adopted by Mrs Maylie. There are some papers which tell all this. Fagin has them." "So Rose is Oliver's aunt," said Mr Brownlow with pleasure. At first Oliver did not know what to say. Then he smiled at Rose. "I am very happy we are relatives," he said.
      Oliver walked down a cold, wet corridor" lined with small, dark cells. It was the next day and Mr Brownlow had asked Oliver to go with him to see Fagin in the prison which was going to be Fagin's home for the rest of his life: a life that the magistrate had decided would not be very long because he had been sentenced to death. Fagin was shocked to see Oliver. "Oliver! My dear Oliver!" he cried. "How are you, my boy? I want to talk to you." "Not now, Fagin" said Mr Brownlow. "Listen, we know that Monks gave you some papers." "Ah, the papers," said Fagin. "I won't tell you where they are. But I will tell Oliver. Come here, boy." He moved very close to Oliver and said quietly in his ear, "They're in a small bag inside the chimney of my front room.  Now, please get me out of here." "I can't do that," said Oliver, moving away. "I have to leave you." Mr Brownlow and Oliver walked out of the cold cell and watched as the guard closed the prison door closed behind them. They never saw Fagin again.
        This story is nearly finished, but not the lives of the people we have met. What happened to Monks? Well, Monks went to America to start a new life and no one saw him again. Fagin's gang were all sent to prison, but not the young Charley Bates. After Nancy died, he decided that all criminals were bad. He worked hard to get a good job on a farm. He lived a happy life. And Noah Claypole? He went on to work as informer. Rose was soon married to the man she loved, Harry, and they lived in a lovely house with Mrs Maylie. And what of Oliver Twist? Mr Brownlow adopted Oliver as his son and they moved to a house near to their good friends Rose, Harry and Mrs Maylie. Oliver now had a father, a good home and an education. But although he lived a long and successful life, he could never forget the many poor children that lived in the city nearby.

1-What did Charley do when he saw Sikes in their hiding place?
  -He refused to stay with them as Sikes is a killer.
2-Why did Charley fight with Sikes?
  -Because Sikes killed Nancy and put the gang into troubles.
3-Why did Mr Brownlow ask for a ladder?
  -Because he wanted someone to climb up and catch Sikes.
4-What did Mr Brownlow offer to catch Sikes?
  -He offered 50 pounds to the man who took Sikes alive.
5-How did Sikes die?
  -He jumped into the river from the roof of the old building.
6-How would Oliver help his old friends in the workhouse?
  -He would give them clothes and teach them how to read and write.
7-What did Monks find on his father's desk when he died?
  -He found his father's will and a letter to Agnes.
8-What did Monks's say in his letter?
  -He asked Agnes to keep the gold locket with her name on it.
9-How did Monks got the gold locket?
  -He bought it from Mrs and Mr Bumble.
10-How did Mr Brownlow intend to punish Mrs and Mr Bumble?
  -He would tell people never to give them a good job again.

1-"Not you! You're the one who killed Nancy!"
  a-Who said this to whom?
    -Charley to Bill Sikes.
  b-Where were they?
    -They were in their hiding house.
  c-Why did he killed Nancy?
    -Because she told other people about Sikes bad plans.
2-"I will give fifty pounds to the man who takes that man."
  a-Who said this to whom?
    -Mr Brownlow to the crowd of people in the street.
    -Bill Sikes.
  c-What happened to that man?
    -He died.
3-"He is the son of Agnes and your father my good friend Edwin Leeford."
  a-Who was the speaker?
    -Mr Brownlow.
  b-Who was the speaker talking to?
    -Monks.
  c-Who is the son of Agnes?
    -Oliver.

4-"We saw Mrs Bumble take a gold locket and some papers from Nurse Sally………."
  a-Who said this to whom?
    -A servant from the workhouse to Mr Brownlow.
  b-Why was that locket important?
    -Because it proved that Oliver was Monks's half brother.
  c-What happened to Nurse Sally?
    -She died.
5-"They are in a small bag inside the chimney of my front room."
  a-Who said this to whom?
    -Fagin to Oliver.
  b-What was the speaker talking about?
    -He was talking about some papers Monks gave him.
  c-Where was the speaker?
    -He was in prison.

1-Answer these questions:-

1-Name the people who were in the house with Sikes before he tried to escape.
2-Where did Mr Brownlow take Oliver two days later?
3-Why did Monks want Oliver to become a thief?
4-What did Monks do to make Oliver a thief?
5-What did Mr and Mrs Bumble say about the locket?
6-How did the others know that she was lying?
7-What do we learn about Rose Maylie's identity?
8-Why did Oliver and Mr Brownlow visit Fagin in prison?
9-How did Monks got the locket?
10-What happened to Monks and Noah at the end?

2-Read these quotations and answer the questions:-

1-"I will give fifty pounds to the man who takes that man alive. "
  a)Who said this?
  b)Who was the person talking about?
  c)When and where was this said?
2-"And there is the road to the house where I lived with Mrs Mann when I was little.
     Perhaps my orphan friends are still there!"
  a)Who said this?
  b)Where was the person?
  c)What did the person hope to do for the orphan friends?
3-"When he ran away, I helped the Artful Dodger to find him so he could introduce him to
     my friend Fagin, and then Fagin helped him to be a thief"
  a)Who said this and who is he talking about?
  b)Why did the speaker want the other person to be a thief?
  c)Where did the speaker say this?
4-"Help! The killer is here! Break down the door!"
  a)Who said this to whom?
  b)Who was the killer?
  c)Who did he have killed?

5-"I won't tell you where they are. But I will tell Oliver. Come here, boy."
  a)Who said this to whom?
  b)What was the speaker talking about?
  c)Where were they?

1. Mr Grimwig arrested Fagin and Bolter.
2. Chitling and Bates escaped from the police through the back door.
3. Sikes killed Rose because she told other people about his bad plans.
4. Mr Brownlow paid fifteen pounds to someone for catching Sikes.
5. Rose is the aunt of Monks.
6. The father of Monks and Oliver died in England.
7. Mr Bumble was good at telling the truth.
8. No one could get the money From Mr Brownlow because Sikes escaped.
9. The will said that half of Monks's father should go to Fagin.
10. Bill Sikes helps the Artful Dodger fin
remove_circleمواضيع مماثلة
بارك الله فيكم
مشكور جدا
privacy_tip صلاحيات هذا المنتدى:
لاتستطيع الرد على المواضيع في هذا المنتدى